I did a project on Live Broadcast of A Virtual Game show, in which I designed sets, costumes, styling, graphics, story boards and also acted in it. I was a success act and projected my love towards the TV and filmmaking. The story boarding and a story visualization, seemed as an awesome way of showing what is inside my mind, rather than taking a normal inspiration or muse as everyone does.
Filmmaking is a beautiful process, which helps to visualize a state of mind through moving visuals and actions; so, I wanted to use it as a source of my inspiration of my fashion collection. A film is an art form in itself and has inspired many generations of famous designers to derive collections out of them. It is a complicated, yet a better source of information, derived from our lives or the fantasies we hallucinate. I wanted to develop a film on an issue or a teaching, yet keeping it extra ordinarily visually appealing. I wanted to create a wow factor in it for the viewer and not just another short film. I wanted my inspiration to be dreamy and graphical to help me derive some important keywords for the collection later.
while i was searching for an inspiration, i saw a beautiful contemporary art film made by designer Alexander McQueen to inspire his collection, which I have told about in my case study.
This gave me an insight to develop something really interesting for the viewers of the film and even my collection.
I started reading the art of filmmaking (short film specifically in my case). I researched the process of filmmaking and found that it includes large number of team members, and a lot of money. I read an interesting book called
Worthington, Charlotte, Producing: filmmaking / by Charlotte Worthington (2009) is an interesting book about the basic knowledge about producing and initiating a proper or a short film.
The main person I needed was an intelligent director who would guide me through the process and help me write the script out of scribbles of my thoughts and research. I met ALAN GARDNER (professional short film director), and we started the script. During this process i also read a book on script writing which told me some interesting things about writing the script.Trottier, David, Screenwriter’s Bible (2005), screenwriting primer that provides a concise presentation of screenwriting basics.
Alan(director) and me working on the final draft of the Film's scriptBefore starting the script I wanted to find evidence to match my thoughts, so the viewer visualizes easily and grasps the whole idea in one show.
While I was researching for interesting things and topics, I went through some key words like Metamorphosis, which means a gradual change of life or just a form. I explored it more and loved the concept as everything we do, everything we see, and everything we think of is connected to the process of gradual change and every time a new product or a visual is formed. We even cannot catch the time, which is gone, and history proves that the new time has brought change with it. I show this I wanted to use the slow motion effect in my film, which is process of filmmaking helps to clearly visualize the change.
Metamorphosis example...
Slow motion example
Through the concept I also wanted to show the change of worlds in time, so I wanted to explore some old century and compare it slowly to the present one.
As of limited recourses, I had to shoot in London itself. So I started researching on the famous eras of near past, London. The most interesting era, which came out, was the Victorian era. It came across the reign of Queen Victoria from June 1837 until her death on the 22nd of January 1901.
It was a vast series of decades. So, I thought of selecting the most influential time in nineteenth century fashion, 1875- 1890. A lot was changing at this time; technology was increasing, so it influenced fashion and lifestyles at this time too.
Late nineteenth century look
At this time particularly, the status of women was changing in the society as of the influence of Queen herself. The women were getting stronger, both emotionally and financially. The era spanned 64 years and changes in attitudes were gradually shifting as the century closed. Married Woman's Property Act 1887 It was a hypocritical period when relationships were quite artificial. Until late in the century in 1887 a married woman could own no property. Then in 1887 the Married Woman's Property Act gave women rights to own her own property. Previously her property, frequently inherited from her family, belonged to her husband on marriage. She became the chattel of the man. During this era if a wife separated from her husband she had no rights of access to see her children. A divorced woman had no chance of acceptance in society again.
Amelia- the female character (the name taken from all the Victorian era names.. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~poindexterfamily/OldNames.html )
This gave me an Idea to build the female character of the film, Adriana, a rich and independent widow woman around 30 years of age (year 1890). She is a snob, flirtatious and an aggressive woman. She knows that she has money and how she can use it.
Actress- Hadas Charline Eshkar, defined the look of the story.
Male Character- Benjamin (Nic Ofield)
His character is potrayed at fake rich guy around 30 yrs of age, who tries to kill the actress in order to get her money. His look as well as Actresses look would be dicussed later.
Writing the script...
Now I had the main character and the late nineteenth century, but somehow I had to connect it with the modern world and even take out a lesson out of it. So I made a dramatic story, mixing the facts and the visualization. Here is the script, with example video clips for different situations, which was an outcome of many progressive sessions.
INT. MODERN BEDROOM - NIGHT
Modern man’s REM, as seen by woman as she arouses him – 30 secs
Her hand fumbling about under the sheets
A smile spreads across his face
His eyes open, he grabs and kisses her hungrily and rolls on top of her
For mixing to next scene put some motion graphic likePshycadelic graphics example
mixes into the next scene which is victorian room, love making in slow motion
For love making scene, example of color isolation
INT. VICTORIAN BEDROOM - NIGHT
Man and woman making love – 30 secs
Intercut lovemaking and fighting for real (ie he’s trying to knife her). Let them run with it for 5-10 mins each scene and shoot it with two cameras
we see fire in actor's eye (Nic Ofield)
EXT. VICTORIAN ALLEYS – NIGHT
Man running thru alleys, running away from the scene of the crime – 30 secs
He’s just killed her and is running away as fast as possible
Manic, beside himself with adrenaline and “oh fuck what have I done?”
Blood on his face
Blind panic, lost, can’t find his way out, spinning around
Collapses in tears of despair.
Goes under the chandelier in Camden once
INT. VICTORIAN BEDROOM - NIGHT
I need graphics for my inspiration so let this scene start at a graphic made of crystal, starting from the chandelier shot in Camden when the man is running in the last scene
Man steals woman’s crystals – 30 secs
Stuff jewels into his pockets and leaving the room
She’s out of focus, looks like sleeping, in bed
EXT. VICTORIAN ALLEYS – NIGHT
Man running thru alleys, paranoid – 30 secs
He walks thru alleys, feeling jumpy
He starts to think he’s being followed
Shot hand held, from the pursuer’s POV, edgy framing, watching him
We see the occasional figure in the shadows, stepping back as man looks round
Shots from overhead – he’s being watched, but by whom?
INT. VICTORIAN BEDROOM – NIGHT
Blood dripping from woman’s hand onto sketch (of her?) the area burns with blood– 30 secs refer
Eyes staring unblinkingly, to the ceiling
Bloodstained sheet, revealing the scene of the crime
EXT. VICTORIAN ALLEYS - NIGHT
Man running thru alleys, stuck – 30 secs
Not getting anywhere. Looks down and he’s running on banana skins
Coming up against dead-ends
The pursuer is closing in
INT. VICTORIAN BEDROOM – NIGHT
Man stabs woman to death – 30 secs
EXT. VICTORIAN ALLEYS – NIGHT
Reaching a dead end, backing away from pursuer (modern man) Gothic Man jumps into canal
He climbs over barrier on bridge
Fearful look in his eyes
Hands let go of handrail
Feet slip off of bridge
Man leaping over camera slow-mo
Slow-mo of him falling, falling, falling – trampoline, shot slo-mo
POV falling towards water
Drop a huge block into water for splash
SFX shot of red ink in bowl of water swirling around
INT. MODERN BEDROOM - DAY
Modern man wakes up from dream gasping for breath – 30 secs
Covered in sweat
She’s looking at him
She reaches out to comfort him and he flinches from her touch
She follows him out and there is knife and a property paper at the side of his pillow…



No comments:
Post a Comment